View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

959 PPI Update, RE: Color Change...

On the previous PPI thread, there was some discussion on whether or not the car was originally black or not:

Project Car: 959 - The PPI...

Well, I am happy to report that there is no doubt in my mind that the car was originally black from the factory - it has not been repainted from another color. This afternoon, we took another close look at the inside of the trunk, under the windscreen, inside the front wheel wells, and the shock towers. There has been no repaint over the original metal plates on the front of the car, and the several 959-specific stickers / plates that are glued there. Tony Callas and Grant from Callas Rennsport did not spot any evidence of a color change in their inspection - they were definitely spot-on in their assessment of the car's paint and original condition.

I spoke with one of the sales managers at the place where I bought the car, and he did mention that he advertised the car many years ago as having been repainted, but then corrected himself when the owner commented that it had not been repainted. I believe that the confusion probably lies in the fact that the silver wheels were repainted and refurbished at one time.

In addition, I have ordered the certificate of authenticity from Porsche, and that should also shed some light on the original color and options of the car.

Some of you have asked about what the first project will be on this car. Well, oddly enough, I think I may first start by replacing the carpet. WHY? Because on these 959s, they used some type of "special" thick carpet with some type of chemical / foam backing that has started to breakdown and "outgas" over the years. Well, as you might expect, this produces a horrible smell both inside the front trunk, and inside the main cabin. It really smells like old fuel that is leaking out of somewhere. So, I will probably have a carpet kit manufactured from newer, less-toxic materials and install that in the car. Until then, I don't think that my wife will ride in the car with me!

More updates to come, and we'll post the pics from the front trunk inspection tomorrrow.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)