View Single Post

So I test drove a 930 today- and those of you that said I'd love it were absolutely right. I was going 100mph in very short order and I was amazed at how well it cornered when taking on ramps. One thing I noticed is that the gearbox was "crunching" when shifting- most severely between 1st and 2nd. The salesman in the passenger seat said you can't shift it like a modern car, going quickly from gear to gear- you need to slowly move it into gear with gentle pressure, allowing time for the gears to mesh. It seems like the '87-'89 Carreras w/G50 transmissions are going for a lot of money right now which implies it was a huge improvement. I'm wondering if this salesman was right and that you have to "slow shift" 915 transmissions- or is this a sign that there's an issue with worn synchros/expensive transmission issues? I'm being a little nitpicky with this car as they're asking $38k for an '88 930 (52k miles) at the end of the "season"- I'm expecting near concourse for that price (maybe that's unrealistic) and the salesperson has represented it as such. Any words of wisdom regarding the 'ole 915?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)