View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Back to basics......

1.)When the engine is fully warmed up, what is the oil level on the dipstick. (lowest hash mark is preferred on the turbos)
2.) You mentioned the engine was rebuilt after a theft. Have you seen the rebuild sheet so that this can be verified?
3.) One of the most overlooked pieces during a rebuild is a little bitty check valve ball bearing. Most forget where it came from during assembly and leave it out. The check valve prevents (reduces) the possibility of excessive oil going down into the turbocharger. It is located on the topside of the engine...the other end of the the turbo charger oil feed line.
4.) You can not assume that the source of oil leak is coming from the turbocharger seals. Look further upstream on the air inlet side. Take the air cleaner housing off the the air metering plate. If there is oil residue there, you know it's coming from the breather hose that comes of the oil tank and goes to the air cleaner housing. Oil droplets hitting the turbine blades turning nearly 100,000RPM could explain the pitted blades.

Good luck to you.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)