View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Have an independent porsche mechanic check it out. Used car salesman rarely to never tell the truth even if they know it...

Sounds like the synchros are worn if "crunching" means slight grinding of the selector teeth when upshifting. How is the downshifting? That makes the synchros work even harder as they try spin up the gear set before the selector teeth mesh.

Sounds like 38,000 is too much if the car isn't perfect but a dealer is always going to ask more than it's worth and will probably come down in price if you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Thanks for the advice- I think I'll pass on this car. Found out it's being sold on consignment so the dealer actually doesn't own it. Before I spent a few hundred on an independent ppi I had the salesman feel the owner out for price flexibility and I got the feeling he was slightly offended. My Toyota Tacoma (with a very heavy flywheel) actually shifts better than this car- so I think there may be some issues there. I think I'll hold out for a nice, earlier model that's being sold by an enthusiast- that way there'll be some $ in reserve for upgrades. It was worth the test drive, though as I learned a lot (mainly that my driving skills have a long way to go to even approximate the capabilities of the 930- when I find the right one it should keep me grinning for a long time!)
Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)