View Single Post

Thumbs up Life is good and the Turbo is running!

Ok, here's the update. I got my scavenge pump parts in today and Summit came through on the filter. I pulled the trigger too quickly and bought the 40 micron filter with the AN8 fittings rather than the 100 micron that I found on the site later. The filter has a stainless steel mesh filter that looks like a fine wrinkled screen between two copper sealing washers. I was initially afraid that 40 microns would be too restrictive and that I would get oil backing up into the turbo.

I plumbed the filter in with a 90 degree F-F AN connector and a 45 degree M-F. Since I already knew about how much oil flows out of the catch tank when it's disconnected I started the car with the filter on the can and walked back for a quick look. The filter didn't seem to restrict the oil flow. I connected the filter to the scavenge pump and went for a 5 mile shakedown ride. All went well and I believe this filter is going to work after the catch tank. I plan to get another braided hose made to clean up the installation some and reduce the number of fittings. Besides, the one that's on there seems to be weeping a little.

I plan to open this filter at every oil change and see what I'm getting as far as little carbon bits out of the turbo. If all goes well, I will see some in this filter, it will not get plugged between oil changes, and I won't find any more bits in the fender tank. I really don't want to have to take the engine apart again any time soon.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)