View Single Post

Here's how I flush out my cam spray bars

There is a 17mm plug that is down at the back end of the cam tower along the same plane as the banjo fitting that supplies oil to the spray bar at the front of the cam tower.
You don't even have to remove the rocker covers to do this but I do so I can check that the spray bar holes are clear and squirting.

Remove the 17mm plug and push some tubing into it. I used clear tubing because I had that around and it fit perfectly.
I already removed the air pump and all it's plumbing so I have a hole on each side in the pan where the air hoses went through before.
Put the tubing through that hole and let it drain into a container on the ground under the car.

You can remove the fuel pump relays and just crank it on the starter motor or just start the car and let it run about 15 seconds.
Thats not long enough to hurt the cam and rockers and there is still oil on them and my oil pressure gauge was at 4 while idleing and lots of oil was coming out the hose.
I was amazed how many little carbon chunks I flushed out of the spray bars.

Then I pour the 2 quarts of oil I flushed out of the spray bars through a fine screen filter to collect the carbon chunks and then pour it back into the oil tank.
The passenger side is easy, and the drivers side is alot harder to get at but I can do it with a long handle extension on the 3/8 drive ratchet with 17mm socket on that plug.

Then I slide the cleaned up rocker covers back on the studs and crank it on the starter motor for 5 seconds (fuel pump relays removed) then remove them and look at the oil pattern on the inside of the covers to make sure the spray bars are spraying evenly...

Here's some pictures from when I did it the other day starting with the 17mm plug....

Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)