View Single Post

Porsche Crest Need to Stiffen Up a bit!

125shifter,

1st, let me say...those are some really nice pics of your car. By the launch pic it's a beast. But I think it needs to be stiffened up a bit.

See Pic of my 930.....I, like Craig930RS use 23/33 T-bars. Although my car is a street car (never been tracked) I agree with the others and would suggest you install heavier T-bars and/or go with the RSR shocks with helpers. Currently I have bilsteins all around and run 275/315's.

Having driven for a season in the mid 90's, I can see the Bilsteins I have currently would not suffice for track use. Having the rear step-out while in a "controlled" turn and under boost is typical. But by the pics of your launch, You have quite a bit of squat, which will force you to "stay in it". Otherwise if you "lift", you get some mean opposite lock.

In regards to interior and safety equipment, I run a RSR style roll bar and use Schroth 5 pt harnesses. If you need your car for street use, I highly recomment Recaro SRD's. They have decent support, very light, comfortable, equipped for 5 pt harnesses and best of all they recline.

The only other thing I can further suggest is to lighten your car as much as you can. Do you use your rear seating? The rear tail is very heavy compared to a glass one. Believe it or not....those flag mirrors are heavy compared to the 935 mirrors. Below is just as a "guestimation" in weight.

40 lbs - Factory rear Tail with A/C condensor (replace with glass tail)
20 lbs - Factory rear seating, rear deck and safety belts. (Replace w/RS rear seat delete carpet)
10 lbs - Factory electric flag mirrors. (Replace w/935 mirrors)

Just with these few items.....you are near, if not over, 70 lbs in weight savings.

Well, I am glad someone is representing the 930's on the track. If you can get your 930 to stay flat, you'll be able to go into the turn deeper and stay-in-it during a controlled rear-out turn. This will hopefully minimize the 50/50 advantage those Cayman S's have and keep them where they belong....behind the mighty 930.

Paul
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)