View Single Post

Watercooled intercooler system on aircooled 911

I have a 69 model prodject car and i am installing a 3,3 litre turbo engine in it. I want to use a ducktail on the car so there is not so much space for the standard intercooler. I was thinking about building a watercooled intercooling system with a radiator in front. When first making this water loop for the intercooler it will be easy to install a small plate heat exchanger condenser in the same loop (weights about 2-3 kg) so the air cooled condenser(s) can be removed.

Before starting on this i would like to find out more about the temperatures and capacities in intercooler and air conditioning system on the the car so i can find out if this is possible or not.

Can some one please help me with my questions below

If it is 30C (86F) outside and you run your car at 3500 rpm

1. What is the nominal air flow through the engine in a 930, for intance at 3500 rpm

2. what is the normale temperature before and after the intercooler, (air that flows into engine)?

3. what is the nominel air conditioning cooling capacity or refrigeration compressor flow rate?

I see that here is some advantages and some disadvantages to make this system. As i can see is now it's like:
Advantages:
- Coolder air into the engine because air is not pre heated by the intercooler or air condition condenser (more power)
- possibility to use a ducktail
- removes two aircooled condensers
- possibility to get more capacity out of the air conditioning system
- reduces some weight because of no need for air cooled condensers and intercoolers, also the airconditioning liquid reciver can be removed. less refrigerant needed.

disadvantages:
- Complicated system
- More weight on piping and bigger radiator in front.
- less capacity on intercooler because there is needed to have a secondery fluid to exchange heat = hotter at high ambient temperature ???

Please if some one have any information, please help me.

below you can se my system drawing, there will also be needed some small balancing valves

Best regards
Kjell Robert

Thanks

Last edited by thechiller; 10-11-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)