View Single Post

Question Slack chain sounds?

Having just put in new cams, timed them, and cleaned everything up I am now worrying about every little sound. Here's one I would like to ask the group about.

With the engine cool it sounds perfect. When it's hot after a good drive I find that reving in neutral gives me a little growl like a slack chain sound as the revs are dropping back down. I don't notice this on the road. I put in the updated restrictors in the heads while it was out.

I put in Rotella-T 30 weight for the 1st 20 minute break-in and dumped the oil/changed the filter. I now have almost 100 miles on the new cams and plan to put in the Rotella-T 15w40 within another 100 miles. If I can find a 20w50 with ZDDP in it I'll go back with 20W50. Maybe the tensioners like thicker oil?

The tensioners seem healthy otherwise so I am wondering if anyone has experienced this sound. Feel free to tell me I'm being paranoid.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)