View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Today's Progress on the Project 959 (Thursday, Oct 11th)

Okie, I took some time today to work on the 959 and get some things fixed in preparation for our Grady night out tomorrow. I started with the hood shocks on the car. Well, I should say "hood shock", as there appears to be only one, despite the parts diagrams showing two. There is a hole for one in the hood on the right side of the car, but there's no place for the shock to go - there's just a big plastic gas tank in the way (huge tank by the way). On the left side - my goodness, I have never seen a tighter spot to replace a hood shock - I thought my 911SC was difficult. I honestly didn't think I would be able to do it, but the DIY gods were smiling on me today as we kicked off the first project / fix.

The original shock has a 959 part number, but Porsche wanted $90 or so for it, so I guessed (correctly) that the 911 Carrera heavy-duty shocks would work just as well. They are a drop-in fit, and a direct replacement, and hold the aluminum hood up perfectly. Some tips, that are applicable to other cars:

- When removing the clip on the bottom of the shock, try to avoid having the pin fall out - leave it hanging out of one side of the tab on the bottom. That way, you won't have to insert it through the tab again with no space in there. I lucked out - the pin didn't fall out. I was also able to push it through the bottom of the shock with no room to spare. Then, for putting the clip on the end of the pin, John (in sales) gave me a great idea that worked. We went to the local hardware store (1 block away), and got a wooden dowel pin. Then I cut a slit in the end and stuck the clip on the end. Sure enough, I was able to manipulate the end in there and snap it into place. I didn't think it would be possible - I thought I would have had to remove the gas tank (not pretty), but somehow it all worked out!

The other project worked on was the driver's seat. I popped out the switch yesterday, and the little balls inside went flying everywhere. Found them later on with a magnet, although it appears that one of the springs in the switch was missing (odd). This was probably why it wasn't going forward at all (we ordered a new one for tomorrow). Taking out the seat was easy - the previous mechanics decided it wasn't important to attach the rear two bolts. Very amateurish considering a car of this caliper. Also, the main computer under the seat wasn't even fastened down (just lying there). Again, very sloppy. Oh, and to top it all off, there is a fiberglass panel that one previous mechanic decided was in his way, so he just RIPPED the dang thing off and tore the holes that mount it to the chassis. Very sloppy - I used some epoxy tonight to repair that piece. We'll get the new switch tomorrow and install it. The passenger side up / down isn't working, so maybe we'll use the old switch for parts for the other side.

The passenger side door handle is broken too, so I took off the door panel. The interior is all leather - odd how heavy all of that seems when you're removing it. From the factory, I found a VIN number marked on one of the interior pieces - it matched (*whew*). Very cool. There has been a question of whether this car was repainted from silver or not - take a look at the door photos, seems very, very black and very original in there to me. I would be very surprised if someone went through all of the effort to carefully paint all of the inside areas of the door. Just doesn't seem to add up.

I also discovered that the right side speaker was shot. I headed over to Best Buy tonight and got some Pioneer speakers that seem to fit very well, we'll put those back in tomorrow. I've used the Pioneer units before on other cars - they seem to generally be high quality units.

I checked out the door handle, the problem is caused by deterioration of one of those plastic clips that attach the various door lock rods - you guys with the later cars know what I'm talking about. I ordered a few of those, and will replace them tomorrow.

I'll probably replace the hood crest tomorrow too. I thought about using that last remaining silver one I have, but I think I'll stick with gold - it looks better on black. I'll save the silver one for the silver 996.

All easy stuff today (except for that hood shock). Shoot, I forgot to shoot a lot of photos of the front trunk (which is very cool with all of the carpet removed). I'll do that tomorrow!

-Wayne

Here's a shot of the interior. The tritone leather pattern was something found on all the 959s. I've disconnected the seat's remaing bolts, and it's loose now. All you need to do is pull the electrical connector and then lift it out. You might want to have a friend help you, or at least be on standby, as if your back tweaks over the door sill, you don't want to drop the seat on your paint.

Here's the inside of the seat switch. You really shouldn't do this unless the seat is out of the car and sideways. The little ball bearings came flying out when I took the cover off (didn't expect it to come off).

Here's another shot of removing the seat. That fuzzy thing under the dash is a carpet covering for the ABS computer.

Here are two computers under the seat. My manual is on my other desk, and I don't recall which ones these are off the top of my head. The one on the left is very big though and has two large connectors attached to it. This one was not even fastened down properly (see next photo). In the next photo, note the very large center tunnel, which houses the driveshaft that runs the front differential.

Here are those elusive balls from the inside of the switch. Make sure that you don't lose them if you open your switch up to clean the contacts out.

Here's what a blown speaker looks like. I don't expect to be listening to much music in this car (the engine sounds are all you need), but it's nice to have one that does work. These are standard speaker sizes - I've had good luck with Pioneers in the past.

Check this out, a hidden VIN tracking number, presumably for the "custom" interior pieces. They only made about 100 of these cars a year, or about two per week. I suspect this number was used to track the interior pieces with the car, just like they used to do when they marked the 356 bumpers and doors during painting.

Here's the door with the top part removed. Looks just like every other 911 door, except that this one is aluminum, and the door panel is all leather. Same hardware and mounting though...

101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)