View Single Post

Send a message via ICQ to Terrh
Is there some sort of restrictor onto the oil feed line on these cars to prevent excessive oil pressure getting to the turbo?

I don't know the first thing about these 911's, but I know plenty about turbochargers..
It sounds to me like yours is getting excessive oil pressure. If there's oil getting into the intercooler, than no doubt, the problem is that oil is leaking past the seal on that side.

The only common ways for this to happen are worn seals (and you said it's rebuilt), inability for oil to return to the motor (which has been discussed), and excessive oil pressure reaching the turbo.

This would possibly only cause an issue while warm, and with the thin oil, because when it's cold everything in there perhaps seals better, but once warmed up the gap expands enough to dump oil through, especially with the turbo spinning full tilt at 50,000+ RPM's.

If there's some sort of anti-drainback valve or a pressure reducer missing, it could cause exactly this problem. It may have been like this since the engine was rebuilt, but not reared it's head until the thin oil got to it.
A temporary fix may be to simply change the oil back to what worked before.

A more long term fix, may possibly be finding the pressure restrictor or anti drainback valve, and replacing it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)