View Single Post
Wayne 962 Wayne 962 is offline
Author of "101 Projects"
Wayne 962's Avatar
Today's Progress on the Project 959 (Friday, Oct 12th)

Okay. In preparation for taking the car out to Grady's dinner here in El Segundo, I had to finish up a few projects that were started yesterday.

Firstly, the passenger side door panel needed to be finished. The door linkage rods are all held in together using these small plastic clips that tend to wear out over the years. Replacement of these is relatively easy (if you can get your fingers in there) and fixes most of the door-not-opening problems that exist. With the door panel removed, I replaced that door lock clip in there with a new one. I also swapped out the old Blaupunkt speaker with a distintigrated cone with a new Pioneer unit. I will keep the old speaker just in case there's any "restoration" value in it in the future.

I also installed an Appbiz door liner / moisture membrane inbetween the panel and the door. Although I'm not 100% sure if these cars came with one in there, installing it is a good idea. It basically keeps the door panel dry and helps protect it from water that may get in there from the rain and/or car washes.

While I was in there too, I replaced a missing plastic door clip (very common to find these things missing from time to time), and I also replace the door window switch holder with one of the newer style stainless-steel units also from Appbiz. We sell this and the moisture membrane in the catalog - I recommend their installation if you're doing any door panel work.

Buttoning up the door panel, I then moved to the driver's side seat switch, which was non-functional in the forward direction. After taking the switch apart and seeing that someone had "tried to fix it by breaking it", I decided a new one was probably the best bet. I'll save the parts from the old switch - the passenger side switch is faulty too, perhaps I can fix that with some of the spare parts. New switches are cool, but expensive at about $130 each. I installed the new switch, and then used my battery charger to test it to make sure it worked, and also to make sure that I had installed the connectors in the right direction. As it was, I made a mistake and had to swap connectors on the motors later on. I suggest that you test your switch wiring before you bolt down your seat.

Tonight at the Grady gathering, I went to lock the car, and the lock cylinder came out of the car! Then, the driver's side door wouldn't close, and I had to drive home holding it closed! Believe it or not, this has happened before, and the fix is to simply repair the door handle. I believe it's just missing the retaining screw on the back of the handle - I'll have to see if I have one of those lying around somewhere when I take the door panel apart. I wanted to replace the speaker on that side anyways with the new Pioneer unit. By the way, I went to the store looking for new speakers, but I was unsure if the new-style speakers would clear the old-style speaker grille. It seems that most all speakers in the stores these days have a center cone section that sticks out and up above the main speaker cone. Well, good news, the original 911 speaker grille is concave, and sticks out enough for the clearance of the center of the speaker.

Okay, here are some photos:

This photo shows me placing the moisture membrane on the door panel. The black plastic door clips are shown here - they are often broken or missing on older cars. You should replace them if you see that they are missing - there will be a large hole in the panel where they should go.

I removed the rear speaker enclosure so that I could easily mark and cut the membrane. Removing the enclosure makes the job easier and only takes about 2 minutes.

Here's the assembled door panel with the moisture membrane installed. Note the two large cutouts I made for the speaker and the door lock knob.

I tacked on the membrane with some thin double-sided tape. The membrane will be held in place by the fasteners that hold the door panel, but getting it in place is difficult if you don't have it taped to the panel itself. I suggest using some thin double-sided tape like is shown in the photo.

Here's a photo of the new white door clip that I installed into the passenger side door today. With not too much room to work inside of the door, this job can be more difficult than it appears.

To make it easier to install this clip, I stuck it on the end of a ball driver. This allowed me a lot of leverage and ease in placement of the clip inside the door. You can't see what you're doing in there, so you have to mainly feel around. I also disconnected the door latch by removing the three screws on the edge of the door - this allowed me to move the whole assembly over about an inch, which gave me more room to work.

Here are the old and new door window switch retaining clips. When Bob showed me these clips about 2 years ago, I thought "now there's a product just looking for an application". But, I used them today, and they look and work great. If you're spending this amount of time on your car, you might as well use the best products. These are made out of stainless steel, I think they are about $12 or so for the set of three.

Here is the stainless steel window switch retainer installed in the door panel.

Wayne R. Dempsey, Founder, Pelican Parts Inc., and Author of:
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)