View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Here we have the door panel back on. You can see the moisture membrane sticking out of the top. Next is the top door sill, speaker, and lower door pocket.

Close-up of the door panel, remember to stick your door window switch wires through, and make sure that you have your battery disconnected for this entire task!

Here are some of the connectors for the motors underneath the seat. On the new switch, the colors of the wires were slightly different, so it was easy to mix up the wires. Be sure to check for the proper operation of the seat before you bolt it down again.

Here's another shot of the motors on the other side. I recommend taking photos of these connections before you disconnect them. That way, if you have any questions, you can always refer back to the photos you took.

This is the main connector that powers the seat motors. The other missing pins are for features like seat heaters, etc. The new switch comes with new pins attached - you have to crack this connector open using a screwdriver, and swap out the pins. Pretty easy in general.

Here's the new switch installed (two shown here, the new one is the one on the left). Reinstall the retaining ring after the switch is in.

You need to route the wires along the bottom in a similar path to how they were before. Use about 3-4 zip ties to keep the wires contained and together. For the removal of the wires that connected to the front motor, I had to remove the black plastic cover that goes over the whole lower front part of the seat (shown on the blanket on the left in the background).

Back in the car, you can see where I cleaned up the computer area underneath the driver's seat. The big box is the Function Control Unit (FCU) for the drive control (I guess 4WD system and bias control), and the other box is the control unit for the shock leveling system. There is a problem with some type of system with the FCU - we'll be working on this at a later date.

New hardware! We just happened to have some on the shelf, and since this seat was missing a whole bunch of hardware anyways, I decided it was best to use brand new factory stuff. Can't cheap out on a 959!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)