View Single Post
Metal Guru

Garage
Reply on my 1000th Post (yeah!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Ferch View Post
Just as a point of reference.... the non-functioning power seat switches often don't work *simply* because the contact points ( yeah...like old distributor points) get cruddy and carboned-up. If you take the switch apart ( easy...but be carefull of the little ball-bearings), and swipe some emery paper underneath the contact points ( shaping a strip of emery paper or sandpaper as a long "rope" and using a pull-up-on-alternate-side technique)...I have found I can get EVERY bad switch I've come across back to life. I think the $130 cost is plain stupid for this switch....whether one can afford a 959 or not doesn't make it ( in my mind) any less stupid, as an item of cost relative to what it is.
Wil, I never had any luck with doing that. Seems like they get carboned up soon enough all over again and then I'm kicking myself for not replacing it in the first place. Since the switch is buried in the seat, it's a job that you only want to do once.
I just went through this on my '91 Turbo; the fore-aft switch on the passenger seat was shot. To make things worse, the emergency adjuster (the white gear on the fore-aft motor in the picture) was shattered. I had to crank the seat forward by manually turning the two cables in an alternating fashion while Wayne got me a gear from the Fatherland. But I enjoy a challenge
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)