View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Friday progress on the 959 (Oct 19th)

I only had a little time to work on the car today, and I'm really, really tired right now, so I'll post the pics, and quickly annotate a few of them.

Just in case you were wondering, we do have patterns available for making custom covers for your very own 959. This fabric is the stretchy style that is like smooth stockings on the outside with a soft cotton-like side on inside:

My speaker grilles are cracked, and I think these are NLA from Porsche. Anyone have a good set to sell?

Here's the new electronic switch that goes in the door handle. About $75 - the old one was not repairable. I think I might have contributed to it's breaking when I was putting the lock cylinder back together. See next few photos for the proper assembly.

The switch has a three-pronged plug. The center pin appears to be the common ground for the switch.

Here's a closeup of the actual switch mechanism. There are two microswitches in there and the thing is very fragile.

Door handle with switch installed. If this doesn't look like your door handle, then you probably don't have electronic locks. I'm not really too sure why they made the driver's side door lock power controlled - other sports cars I've seen have the passenger door wired to reflect the driver's door, so that the driver's door itself acts as a master switch for the car.

Be sure to reinstall the little clip that holds the wire in place.

See the indentations in the plastic piece that goes on the end of the lock cylinder? This must mate with the switch. Also becareful holding the cylinder without the key inserted (as I am doing in the photo). The pins are spring-loaded and can easily fall out of the cylinder.

SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)