View Single Post

PO told me that the turbo melted the rubber bumperette on the stock bumper with no heat shield. He fitted an FG Ruf bumper cap with extra holes on the turbo side. That was OK with a small muffler.

I fitted a factory muffler because those noise levels are very noticable (and illegal) where I live right now, but now I notice the license plate is discoloring from the heat - because there's not much air space around the muffler, I'd guess.

I've also noted license plate light wires completely melted and fused together. Oddly, not where they run really close to the muffler in the bumper cap, but a good 6-8 inches from the end cap on the factory muffler. Guess that must get the hottest...

It's not happened again since I repaired it, might all have been done on the dyno run...

I'm kind of pinning my hopes on Rarly's latest passenger-side exiting muffler - if that can be made to fall somewhere between an open pipe you can roll a baseball through and the factory muffler noise-wise and allow better airflow so stuff doesn't cook back there, I'll be happy. The fact it's lighter and looks great is just gravy....

My guess would be that you'll need the heat shield if you re-fit the valance, if you're running a stock muffler or one that's tight on the panel. I'd fit one in the interim if I had one...
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)