View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Now, does anyone see anything amiss in that last photo? When I removed the left panel, I said "AH HA!"

Here's a different angle on that left-hand intercooler:

So, basically, my left hand-side (lower RPM) turbo charger was letting all of the air out before it even reached the intercooler. Very bad for performance, as you might have imagined. So, reconnected this (took about five minutes):

and took the car out for a drive. Well, the boost was there up to about 1.5 - 1.6 on my in-dash boost gauge. I'm not sure if it's still running in default mode or not - I need to do more testing. Default mode happens when there is a computer problem, and it limits the amount of boost to 1.5 bar (.5 additional boost). The car is supposed to run at .9 to 1.2 additional boost, but I didn't get a chance to test that. I swung back to the shop to pick up Scott, and then a loud alarm indicating low oil started going on and off. It kept doing this, so I decided not to ignore it and head back. I parked the car not knowing if we have completely fixed the problem or not, but now we have a new problem to worry about. While the oil light was going off (and these cars also have a BIG LOUD PIERCING ALARM NOISE that accompanies the red alert lamp - something they should have had on the regular production cars if you ask me), the oil pressure was reading quite fine - I'm not sure what is causing this problem. There is no oil tank level gauge, but perhaps there is a sender. I checked the oil level and it was at the low scale, so I added a quart. Well, then it went well above the high mark, so I might have to empty a bit out - I guess the levels are quite different than a production 911. Still, with the additional oil in there, the alarm went off. Maybe there's a sensor near one of the oil lines for the turbos - this thing has four oil pumps I think.

So, success in finding that a simple hose was disconnected and causing me to lose boost. But, the oil warning lamp is both annoying and disturbing. So one thing fixed, and another breaks. But, as Scott reminded me tonight, I knew this going into this project. I've been spending a lot of time on this car lately, I think it's time to take a small break. We're heading to SEMA next week and then to Daytona for Rensport Reunion, and I have to finish up some things before we go. Can't play all the time, right?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)