View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Alton View Post
Wayne, is the area circled in blue below as rough as it looks in the pic?? Strange as the rest of the areas hidden by the panels from view seem so much more "finished". It really is great to see all the details of these rare cars, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
You have to remember that these cars were essentially homologation prototypes for Grubbe B racing qualification - there are many "prototype" style parts on them. Actually, in fact, I'm surprised at how polished all of the stuff looks considering the fact that they only made 275 or so of them. Here is a closeup of what you're talking about. The "roughness" that you're referring to is actually a heat shield that is made out of some type of metal / cloth / material, and molded around the outside of the latch. The latch itself is attached to the bumper, which is quite a complicated piece of composite. I heard that Dieter at Andial got rear-ended once when out driving a customer car - the bumper was destroyed and a new one from Porsche (they had only one left) was a mere $100K. I think they had Getty Design make up a replacement instead for that particular car (cost $25K I think). This is all 2nd-hand stories.

The car is fascinating to me, as all of this stuff is 100% new to me as well. Pretty cool to explore this "ultimate" 911.

-Wayne

Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)