View Single Post
"I am the liquor..."

I have my crank-fired ECU (Electromotive XDi) rev limiter set to 6,500 RPMs.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the stock dizzy and/or CDI box have a rev limiter. I know that the MSD 6AL CDI box (a common replacement when the Bosch unit goes down) has a rev-limiting feature. Back when my '87 was bone stock, I was accelerating hard from second to third, and before I could make the shift, the crappy OEM rubber centered clutch disc disintegrated, and the tach needle went all the way as the engine lost it's connection to the tranny and just free-revved!

If you intend on seeing regular high RPM exchanges (especially if extended), at a minimum you'll need ARP rod bolts. The stock rod bolts have been commonly called "cheese". On a more track oriented engine (not sure if that applies to Auto X), race valve springs and retainers are a common change.

Obviously, the rod bolts can be changed without having to split the crankcase, but while you've got the engine out and in pieces, terrible urges take over, and you become a human avalanche tumbling down a slippery slope.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)