View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Whoops, definite deer tracks here. See the bottom of the knob? it's indented where someone already pried it off with a small screwdriver. Crap, that means that either someone tried to fix it already and screwed it up, or it's been broken before, and someone tried to fix it and couldn't. This doesn't bode well for a repair of this particular unit. Time to start shopping for a replacement.

Testing the continuity of the pins. This one controls the heater valve. Unfortunately, the way this unit is constructed, you almost have to desolder and destroy the thing in order to get it open to test. Also, it looks like someone tried to reflow all the solder, and created a huge mess. Some of the traces are lifted, and one of the transistors is damaged because someone nicked it with a soldering iron. Seems unlikely that I will be able to fix this.

Here is that nicked transistor. Man, I hate this new camera for close-up shots. Far away, outdoors shots, the thing is great, but indoors, and closeup, it sucks eggs.

Here's a photo of a broken clear plastic tab, more evidence of a sloppy attempt at a repair.

I thought that maybe this relay was bad, so I checked it out extensively by applying a 9V battery to it. Checked out okay, and it only seems to control the blower motor, which works fine (tested the continuity of the relay and traced it back to the blower motor switch).

101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)