View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Well, the good news is that (as someone else suggested on an earlier thread) the 944/928/968 AC control units seem to be *exactly* the same as this one used in the 959. There is hope. The mounting case seems different, which would be sweet if I could just swap the cases. Tomorrow, I will dig out the 944/928/968 factory workshop manuals and/or electrical diagrams, and I will compare the pinouts from the 944 unit to the pinouts on the 959 unit. You'd hate to make a mistake and fry something in the car. I'm suspecting that they are the same though. At the very least, perhaps a 944 unit can be used to repair this one.

Here's a photo of the front and back of the 944 unit, it looks exactly the same to the one that I have, with the exception of the mounting case:

As luck would have it, here's one on eBay (please don't bid against me):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220163019353&rd=1

I'm away for SEMA next week, so I'm hoping that I can get a few of these (the original 959 one if possible, a used 944 one, or maybe a new 944 unit) and compare them on the bench. This gives me hope that I can get this fixed, it would really bug me if the control unit was unavailable and non-repairable. I'm actually thinking that the 959 unit is probably no longer available, as why would someone already have gone into this unit and tried to repair it. List price on the 959 unit is about $1100, which while expensive, is less than the price of the 964 unit ($1700), and a little more than the 944 unit ($800). It's difficult to think that a mechanic at a shop would try to repair this unit instead of buying a new one if it were available. Of course, here I am trying to repair it, but that's just part of the fun - regular mechanics just don't do that normally.

Cheers - I'm out of town all next week at SEMA and Daytona, so there probably won't be any updates for a while, unless I can get some more work done tomorrow...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)