View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeoni View Post
The Countach was and probably still is the most radical design in automotive history. Yes it looks dated. I tend to like the original clean design minus the wing and side pod. The Diablo is a different story though. Almost 20 years later and its still a very beautiful car. Like the Muira, the Diablo will only get more beautiful with age.
I agree looks wise it was very radical in fact most every Lamborghini design was radical. From an engineering standpoint it was not spectacular and although most everyone associates Lamborghini with the Countach it was not their best design nor does it command anything near what a half decent Muira does. There is a good reason for that. Talk about beauty and the beast.

Joe had a lot to do with the Countach's design as far as getting it to drive properly and he said it was a nightmare trying to resolve all the issues with its design. The man made serious money selling these cars and sold more than 75% of them, it still doesn't change his opinion of them. He tells me the stories of how they had to fit the wing to give it some form of high speed stability but no matter what they did, it took away almost as much as it helped.

For the vintage of these cars a good 512 BBLM, Masseratti Bora or just about any other radical car of the time will out perform the Countach by miles. I have been on fun runs with these cars and my 964 C2 can keep up with them no problem, my turbo would run circles around it. I happen to like almost every other Lambo made yet the Countach gets all the glory. Thats all I am saying.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)