View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I have to jump in here. I can't stand to see some of the crap that has been posted about Lamborghini stand without comment. I know this is a Porsche forum, but...

Yes, Lamborghini started making tractors out of surplus military equipment after WWII. He then became a very successful manufacturer of new tractors as his business grew. The later stuff is basically the Italian equivalent of a John Deere, or whatever. Not junk. He also manufactured heating equipment and had other ventures. His car factory wasn't a hobby, as anyone who visited the factory in the 60's or 70's would be able to tell you. It was a huge investment and made the Ferrari factory look very dated. And yes, I visited both factories in person back then and am not basing my opinions on some book I read, or what some internet junkie said.

I recently sold my Countach and can say that a properly maintained original car, or one that has been correctly restored, drives just fine. Mine was completely stable (as in hands off the wheel stable) at high speeds and much less sensitive to road camber or wind that any turbo I've owned. You have to understand that most of these cars weren't owned by gearheads and weren't maintained by the book. If you've ever seen a Countach maintenance schedule, there's a lot more to it than changing the oil. I'd wager that if you have an experience that didn't live up to your expectations, you probably drove a car that needed tuning. That's not the car's fault.

As for performance, stating that a Boxer or a Bora or "just about any radical car" will out-perform a Countach by miles is more horsecrap. Really, where do you get this information? Any Countach, even the slow ones, won't have a problem with a Bora and the only Boxer that stands a chance is an early one. Remember, the Boxers got slower as time went on and, after the LP400S, the Countach got faster. As for mine, first gear was a little tall but once into second, it accelerated pretty hard. The gear spacing was really close and it didn't spend much time in each gear. If you don't believe me, go look up an old road test or two.

As for values, you ought to do a little reasearch here as well. Things are changing in the Countach market, particularly with the early cars. Some of the sales, like mine, are private but some are at auctions. In August, a RHD LP400 sold for $533K in California. Not exactly chump change.

JR
The Bull crap as you put it comes from first hand driving experiences and conversations with one of the more well known early Lamborghini people in the country whom I know. Although he might not be happy with me for repeating his views he told me about the car and the problems he was confronted with.

The Countach's I drove were relatively brand new in 1984-1985 and most had less than 4000km on them. At the time I was importing grey market cars. Helped bring in close to 70 cars in 1984-1985 using said person for DOT conversions. The Countach's I drove were poorly built with bad stitching and in some cases leather was cut too close to the edges and you could see the imperfections. They also had body parts that did not fit properly and some actually had pieces coming off and these were relatively new cars. Yes they got faster over time but were not that stable on the autobahn and from what I was told never really resolved the high speed issues although you say otherwise. The steering on all the cars I drove were heavy and road feel was not great. I felt very uncomfortable at speed not to mention claustrophobic. I clearly recall the Countach having some weired deflections and cross winds would pull and tug at it.

I will admit the Bora was a pig unless it had its exhaust replaced and then the engine really opened up. Very similar to the BB512LM I almost purchased in feel and power. The Countach did not have anywhere near the power of either of these cars.

I never said anything bad about the tractor equipment. If anything their high powered tractors were sought after by many from many countries. I am not saying that their product was pure crap. I was saying that the Countach is not their best product and not the super car it looks to be. IMO I would rather have a Muira any day, faster or slower a more appealing car in many ways.

I had a run with a very low mileage exceptionally maintained mid 80's Countach last spring and no matter how hard he tried to pull away from me in my little 250 hp C2 he could not leave me behind. This car had both the front and rear wings so maybe it was acting like a parachute like I have heard it described. We never hit more than 120 mph so I am sure it would have eventually walked away from me but my turbo would have had it for lunch 2 courses with desert.

My comments are not just opinions from reading magazine articles they are what I feel to be factual from first hand experiences so I am sorry if we do not agree although I wish you had your car still so we could compare it to my 94 turbo and you could tell me which is the superior car.

As far as value well there is no sense to todays market. People are paying millions for American Muscle cars that were built on a production line next to standard road cars. None of this makes any sense to me.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)