View Single Post

I guess what annoys me is that people that have driven a car once or twice make blanket statements about an entire series of cars, based upon their experiences, without considering all of the facts. I still maintain that the setup of each individual car made a world of difference. I'd wager that the cars you brought in weren't as good as they could have been, with a little work. I'd also wager that part of your problems were related to the work done to get them into the country. I've seen some pretty lousy conversion work on these cars, as well as boxers, turbos etc. I've also seen factory workmanship that left a little to be desired, when they were in a hurry to get cars out the door. Of course, I've seen that on Ferraris, Porsches, whatever too. When Porsche was cranking out a record number of cars in the mid-eighties, their quality slipped a few notches.

My experiences come from ownership over a period of years. My first drive in a Countach wasn't the most relaxed either, but that changed with time. You got used to what you could see and what you couldn't. Vision to the side and rear was better than you thought at first. My steering was light at speed, about like a 930. Road feel was excellent. Plus, it was hands down the most stable car I've ever owned at speeds over 100mph. Keep in mind mine was an LP400, which had narrower tires, no flares and no wings. The later cars were more sensitive to road uneveness, like any car wiith wide tires and lots of camber.

As for performance, the later cars got a lot heavier, as they were actually slightly larger in some dimensions, lost most of the magnesium castings the early cars had, and gained weight through bigger brakes, tires and other things. Add the horrible wings and the DOT bumpers and they got pretty fat. When the 4 valve motor came out, they made up for that. The last cars were really quick, if they weren't jacked with. I'd wager the car you outran in your C2 wasn't a shining example of the breed. You wouldn't have had any easy time with my LP400.

As for your '94 turbo, obviously it's a better car, overall, than a Countach. No argument there, but that wasn't what we were talking about, was it?

By the way, this 512BBLM you keep mentioning...are you talking about the race version of the Boxer, or did you mean a BB512 or BB512i?

JR
Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)