View Single Post

[QUOTE=Alan L;3560534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
We had a thread about this recently. Basically, all the 3.3 distributors had an extra nipple for boost retard, except the 78-79 non-CA versions.

It is definitely a single nipple dizzy. So, if I post the engine No, is it possible to tell if it is one of the 78-79 CA engines, or a later engine with another dizzy?
The car (Chassis) is an '82. Engine No 68H 01352.
Alan
You should probably check the part # on the distributor, I suspect the single and dual nipple vacuum cans will interchange... Uhhm, you can buy the twin-nipple vacuum can from Pelican for $120 US or thereabouts. I know Steve Weiner has a distributor machine...

Pretty sure it's not a 78-79 engine number, because Porsche used numbers for year codes 78-81. However, Porsche standardised the VINs (to SAE J272, J218, J1044 and J1229), using letter codes for years, starting with 'B' for 81, 'C' for '82 etc. (they skip 'I' and 'O').

Looks like they went to letter codes in the engine number as well.

Which would make that year code an '87, by my reckoning, and my guess would be it's a USA 930/68 motor, (in which case you might well have some junk from a Lamba system kicking about) because the type digit '8' (second position) would indicate a USA/California type for a 78-79 motor ('7' would be RoW/Japan for 78-80, or RoW/Canada for '81).

Assuming they kept the same convention for the years my booklets don't cover. You should check to be sure.

What's your chassis number? Are 'ZZZ' the 4, 5, 6 digits? This would indicate a RoW (everything except USA/Canada) VIN. Other digits here would designate body type/destination for USA/Canada cars.

Go to http://yarchive.net/car/vin.html and scroll to the end of the page.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)