Thread: Turbo/Cam combo
View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I don't want to get myself in trouble here.

The fellow that did all this work is a friend of mine. I helped him with the basics and he took it to the ultimate level. He was also working with a few tuners testing prototype products that are not yet for sale. Needless to say they don't want any specific information out just yet.

There is a distinct dividing line at ~375whp where you must modify the fuel system and the turbo IF driveability is a major component considered.

The SC330 cams were ultimately left in the engine because they edged out the SC cams in the HP supported and gave good driveability. (My car was used as the "baseline" for driveability using SC cams). SC330 are good cams. Understand that these are fine lines we are talking about and very subjective. It is difficult to see driveability on a dyno. The focal point was boost threshold and the subtle changes in torque at 1000-1800rpm. That involved lot of seat time and tuning.
My hat is off to the guy for his dogged persuit of the utimate in CIS tuning.

Yes, the S and HFS were compared. In this particular application the S proved to have better characteristics when used in the configuration producing <375whp while the HFS and fuel mods supported >400whp, also with good driveability but a slight reduction in fuel mileage. Remember, there was a lot of tuning involved.

Utimately you need to know exactly what your goals are. Everything must be considered, from gearing to power to fuel mileage so that you are not dissapointed.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)