View Single Post

Sounds to me like you're talking about a KEP Stage 1 clutch (stock 240mm Sachs friction plate and a KEP pressure plate).

Stock 930 friction plate will hold far more power than you're making.

Stock 930 pressure plate will hold considerably more power than you're making.

(I have the specs for the parts somewhere around here, when I was researching clutches that wouldn't slip for my application...)

The ratings Sachs quote for the factory parts comfortably exceed stock 930 power output levels, IIRC - and Sachs ratings have an additional 20% margin built in as well.

From my conversation with them, I seem to remember that KEP's ratings are pretty much what they measure the parts at - that's what they'll take, there's no margin, other than production variances. Something to bear in mind comparing the two.

Any pressure plate with increased clamping force will increase pedal pressure (on a cable system) and loading/wear on release mechanism components.

If you don't have plans to increase power quite significantly in the lifetime of this clutch, I would say don't do it. You only need enough clutch to work correctly - they either hold or they don't, there's no advantage to having an over-spec'd clutch - quite the opposite in fact.

I had to use a Sachs competition pressure plate on my 915, the new Power Clutch would no longer hold it after the new turbo (the clutch guy just chuckled when I told him the dyno figures and said "yeh, that's not gonna work"). This PP increased the pedal pressure by a good 50%, maybe more. You adjust quickly, but holding the clutch down gets tiresome real fast.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)