View Single Post

Poll: Warmup Procedures and beliefs

Hi,

I see a whole lot of people talking about "warming the motor up" by letting it idle. I saw that this was a wide-spread habit in the US when I was there, and that many people believe it is beneficial for the motor.

For the purposes of discussion, let's ignore warming the interior/demisting the screen when there's two ft of snow on the car, or getting the A/C working when the car's been sitting in direct sunlight @ 110+ degrees...

Where I grew up, I was always taught that idling the motor when cold was evil, as the oil was cold and at its thickest, and that the oil flow at idle is probably close to borderline when hot - thus inadequate when cold.

I was always told that you should use a fast idle (e.g. 1400-2000 RPM or so) for a few seconds for good oil flow and pressure, and then drive lightly to warm the motor up as quickly as possible, and that if there's any manual choke, that you should use as little as possible - and knock it off completely as soon as practical.

I also note that the Porsche handbook specifically states not to warm the car by allowing it to idle, but to drive it.

So how many of y'all idle the 930 to "warm it up", and how many of you believe that this is a harmful practise?

Is the recommendation in the Porsche handbook simply a result of the factory engineers believing the same things as me because we both live in Europe where this belief is widespread, or is there a good engineering basis for it?

Last edited by spuggy; 11-08-2007 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Clarified "fast idle" a bit
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)