View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
my reply was" oil gets to 170 deg", temperature - not oil pressure.
??

Yes, I read - and I believe understood - your reply, thanks.

Quote:
I'm not sure I would go by what my 30 year old pressure gauge is telling me, since the needle spends a good bit of time pegged at the top during warm-up and boost,
OK, I wondered if your gauge pegged at 5 bar. Looks like you answered that.

Mine reads up to the equivalent of 8 bar. It's never pegged - although it would, by revving the motor to 3000 in that first minute or so. It always reads 75 PSI (5 bar) during warmup (after that first minute) and under boost or above 4,000-ish.

I thought that, if your gauge stopped indicating anything useful at 5 bar, you might be both unaware of, and interested in, the behaviour of the internal thermostat - especially as it might intersect with your startup procedure.

If you don't believe my sender/gauge, that's fine by me - but I have no reason to believe it's not providing accurate information - I'd fix it if I did.

Like I said, the PO specifically pointed that out, and warned against over-pressurizing the oiling system. Think he said the engine oil cooler was the most vulnerable, but I don't really remember.

Quote:
and I know the pump is only capable of producing x amount of psi under a given set of parameters.
Things are very different when the oil is cold.

I've seen roller bearing motors - with a perfectly normal oil pressure of 6-12 PSI at idle, and a maximum of 30-35 PSI at full RPM - which idled above 60 PSI when the oil was cold. Easiest way to judge oil temperature, without a temp gauge. And that was a tiny little oil pump.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)