View Single Post

930 Ring and pinion, considering something "not recommended"

I'm very unhappy with the sounds coming from my A.M. Engineering (made in Italy) ring and pinion gears. It's been a long effort to straighten out the muffler, sound pad, interior sound proofing, and the speaker holes into the wheel tubs. Now that I have that noise under control the singing ring and pinion is the loudest thing in the car. It's about 10% higher ratio than stock. I don't need the additional revs as I have a pretty wide power band and first gear with my mods is essentially just for spinning the tires.

I have the original Porsche parts including bearing still pressed on the pinion and the bearing race. I found a receipt for syncro work, but nothing on the R&P at all. I suspect it was just installed without regard for shimming and that this accounts for the noise. I am sure that with the factory tool up over $2500 that having it done by someone with the tool will be expensive.

I wonder if, given the odds that nothing was changed to set the preload on the new R&P, I could simply install the original R&P and have the correct preload? Has anyone been into one who can tell me what the chances are of a correct setup?

I'm not afraid of transmission work, but I don't want to have an even larger problem on my hands here. Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)