Thread: New Owner
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Spuggy, you know I nearly added that my car well exceeds those figures I quoted but as it might depend on what oil people are using I didn't bother.
Yeh, and condition. My 944 used to have a hot idle pressure of 2 bar on fresh oil - it'd drop to 1 bar after about 3-4000 miles. I'd start thinking about a change then...

Quote:
So, the 5bar max I said, do you think it is the gauge in the car that only reads to 5bar rather than there being only 5bar?
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that it's limited to 5 bar when the engine thermostat is open to protect any external cooler (can't see it mattering to a trombone, but a Carrera or FMOC is more delicate). The factory probably used a 5 bar gauge because there's a maximum of 90 seconds or so with the motor running before the internal thermostat opens.

My gauge actually goes to 140 PSI - PO advised me to not exceed 100 or so on initial startup to avoid over-pressurization - don't recall exactly what reason he cited, but I think it was regarding the engine oil cooler or the seals for it. Which seems to make perfect sense, so I've always stuck to it. As 2000 RPM within the period the internal thermo is shut == 100 PSI, this implies I do a fast idle for about a minute until the internal thermostat is open, before driving away. No biggie.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)