View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
It's a tradeoff: which will net you less overall engine wear? Idling the engine, which will take longer to warm it up (but at least you're doing it at the lowest revs possible)? Or driving gently, which will put more revs on the cold motor, but allow it to heat up much quicker? I fall into the latter camp. Nothings perfect, unless we start pre-heating the motor and oil before starting things up; so I think running the motor (almost) immediately--but gently--leads to less wear.
Yeh, I'm sure we're all doing what we do for the same reason, it's just that some of us are doing different things...

And when I lived in the US, I saw many non-petrolheads in WA who would idle their regular car for 5-10 minutes on a cold day before getting in it and driving off - they all seemed to be convinced it was "good" for the car, i.e. that it caused less wear than driving - however gently - on a cold motor.

Reason I do the "fast idle" thing is purely for adequate oil flow when the oil is cold. Before reading Wayne's recommendations for starting a brand spanking new engine rebuild (build oil pressure and run it @ 1,800-2,000 RPM for twenty minutes), I'd probably have run it at something closer to 1,200-1,400 RPM, rather than 2,000.

I should mention that my AAR does nothing at all on a cold motor - car will idle @ 950 when stone cold - although I'll get an 1,800 RPM idle slowly falling back to normal on a warm start - like if I stop for 20 minutes somewhere.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)