View Single Post

Hey Nathan,

I spent some time last night with the PET and the service manual. I think you are correct. The shims that set pinion depth seem to be under the retaining plate rather than under the pinion bearing. I got suspicious last night while looking at the pinion as I realized that the bearing is not a taper bearing, but a cylinder roller bearing.

My friend may have been thinking about a different transaxle (he's a shop foreman for Porsche and has better than 30 years experience). I'll have to ask him some more questions.

If I understand where those shims are (please correct me if I am wrong) they are further down the shaft from the main bearing that is next to the pinion gear.

I am also a little suspicious of the markings on the "original" ring and pinion that I have. They don't look like the ones in the shop manual. Do you recognize these markings? I would hate to put the wrong thing back into the car. I did count and it's indeed a 9/38 R&P. The teeth are lightly used and in perfect condition.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)