View Single Post

Hey Nathan,

Then odds are that it's the correct one. It is the correct ratio. It simply doesn't look like the manual. Though with only a pair number (2036) and no "r" number I don't see that one can use the magic special tool to set the pinion depth anyway.

I'm also considering a test. If I were to remove the right side of the ring gear casing so that I could view the current R&P I might be able to clean it off and apply prussian blue to the installed gears. I could then print them and determine if they were shimmed accurately by mesh pattern or if they were just stuffed in there. This would only cost me a gallon of gear lube and an hour or so.

If they were just stuffed in there, the noise would be explained as a bad install and the stock gears could likely be simply plugged back in. If the pattern of the installed gears is good, but they still sound like straight-cut gears I can assume that they were installed correctly, but are of inferior quality. That would suggest that a shim adjustment would be in order to return to the factory gears as it's unlikely that both would take the same shims.

It's a puzzle that deserves at least one good beer's worth of thought...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)