View Single Post

Buying 1st Porsche

Hi guys,

1st post, newbie here!

That's it, out with the crotch rocket (and lived to tell about it!), I've decided to realise a life long dream and purchase my first Porsche. I've got my sight set on what I consider to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made, the 964 Turbo. I've seen quite a few so far and as some of you may relate, this is turning out to be a full fledged quest more than a simple purchase (it's all part of the fun, and what will make the chosen one so special, I guess)! I'm no stranger to buying used cars, and i've done quite a bit of reading on tips and pointers about Porsche's quirks and particularities (growing up in one probably helped; dad having owned a '73 carrera w/RS prepped 2.7 for the better part of my childhood), but here's what i'm missing:

So far (from what little experience I have), i've come to the conclusion that I should stay away from any car that no longer has its service book and/or that is missing the underhood "options/VIN" sticker. I've learned the VIN's "13th digit" possibilities by heart and automatically look for signs of fowl play on the VIN plate riveted to the well...but what I'm missing is the ability to confirm (or not) the match between the engine number and the chassis. Could someone tell me where the engine identification number is located on the motor, and, if there's a quick way to confirm a match (or lack thereof) other than scooting by the dealer or asking Porsche directly?

Any other pointer or insight on buying a 964/965 is welcome (and please don't be afraid to state the obvious).

The car i'm about to check-out is as follows:
Euro spec (as I currently live in Europe, although I do plan to bring the car back to North America) 964 Turbo 11/91, BLK/BLK leather with 106K km (read 65K miles) on the clock. Bone stock, up to date service book (last service @ 55K miles). State smog/MOT inspection < 3 months.

I may be coming back for power-up pointers in the future but for the time being, i just want to learn to know the beast before making it mad! 320hp is plenty to get acquainted with all at once i think...

Many thanks

Last edited by CupRohr; 11-12-2007 at 11:05 PM..
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)