View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Cowtown: I have done much as you have. I've bought Dempsey's book along with a number of other publications on CIS systems, Service Manuals etc. I also religiously wander through this forum along with Rennlist, RennTech, and 6 Speed reading about the various problems that occur and how the guys/gals deal with them.

I have a mechanic who's not really what you'd call a P-car mechanic, but he's honest, truthful, and very proficient at figuring out the how-to of various problems. We have an understanding that I'll bring my car to him as long as it's not something that requires special Porshe tools or specific knowledge....like a tranny fix or an engine rebuild. We have a gentleman's agreement that if the project runs into an area where he has to spend time learining how to do something, then "I dont' pay for OJT"....and he'll agree to that. If it runs into an inordinately long period of time, I feel it's only right to come to an agreement with him that compensates him for how much time he had to spend vs. what someone else with Porsche knowledge could have done in an hour.

We trust and respect each other. We can talk things thru and engage in a bit of "What do you feel comfortable for me charging you?" along with "You're the mechanic...you tell me what you think is fair". We've been doing business for years....not all based on flat rate manuals....some of it is, and some of the jobs have cost me a goodly amount.....but it's the sort of relationship that when I drive away, I don't sit there and get that God awful feeling in my gut about thinking I've been hosed AGAIN!

For instance....my neck is fused due to an old injury, so I can't look up for any period of time. I bought a set of Europipe exhausts and wanted them installed. I went to him and he threw it up on his lift and in about a little more than an hour had them installed. We went thru the usual, "it took me a little longer than a Porsche mechanic so pay me what you think is fair"....I said, "I have a $100 bill in my wallet...do you want it?".....He said...Hell yes!........and the deal was done. Someone else might have done it sooner....but I drove away happy, and he was too. My sense of his integrity was intact. He charges me $25 for an oil change if I bring the oil.....$150 for things like the 30K maintenance with a plug change, cabin filters etc. What do you think Porsche would charge for the 30K? I value our relationship and am pleased with his integrity and proficiency. That's a hard commodity to find these days, but there are still guys like Larry out there.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)