View Single Post

"My 1979 930 engine cold starts fine and idles down to about 8-900 in a reasonable and correct amount of time. Once I shut the engine down for five or more minutes, and restart it hot, it wants to idle at 2000-2200 rpm. It then takes several minutes of driving to calm it back down."

For comparison purposes, my car starts cold @ 1000 and stays there to full operating temperature with very little deviation. It is possible if all things are functioning properly. A couple of things in your discription above would concern me. "Reasonable and correct amount of time", the idle should settle instantly regardless of temperature. "several minutes to calm back down", again the idle should stabilize immediately even if it's wrong. I would also suspect throttle linkage and/or false air that could be influencing your idle. You might also want to check your distributor advance, it's possible it could be getting stiff and slow to return @ idle. Small changes in timing @ idle yield large changes. In fact, I think I'd start with the distributor advance, check your initial timing to see if it's wandering due to stiff or sticking advance.
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)