View Single Post

Garage
Zuff bling

Isn’t it more than mere "paint" to get one’s engine looking the way they want it (either concours or race set set up, show car, or driver for that matter)?

A motor looks like new when freshly rebuilt and as one puts miles on it, its appearance would show a patina, sort to speak. You can paint some things, but isn’t it actually all the components (performance and/or stock), hardware, along with all new lines/hoses that go a long way making the engine looking sharp? Albeit fan shroud, and upper valve cover is good opportunity to match to owner's choice of color. This doesn’t affect performance. Some guys refinish parts for performance, others can add more, but all I can think of at the top of my mind is the piston skirts, and maybe the exhaust ports, CC.

For me, when I got well into my first R&R (3.2NA), I wanted the motor to look clean (no cosmoline underneath) and components painted to match the exterior. For the 3.2, I went with red fan shroud/valve covers, braided fuel lines and spark plug wires, factory finish on the plenum. I Chose a silver paint for the fan housing, and fan yet now know the fan does not accept paint after its driven several thousand miles. Also know not anodizing fuel rails and head studs will result in oxidation.

I started out to get my 3.2 clean and found that much (nah all) of that oil stained appearance of the case/towers/boxes comes out bright with a scotch bright pad, but would take hours of cleaning.

Machine shop returned it back - normal- all the shine GONE from thorough hot tank treatment. Cylinders, et, al, hot tanked. Heads freshly blasted clean though.

Freshly blasted chain box covers are awesome too, yet later I learned they form a patina (moreover they are mostly hidden beneath the other components). Some guys may want to add a finish or color to the covers. For others it may mean refinishing the boxes too. A couple guys paint the case?

From underneath the case (as it comes back from the machine shop/builder) looks awesome with new oil tubes and seals, hardware and seals. Clean oil cooler and the oil lines. I learned at this point one can’t see beneath the fan shroud to the newly blasted heads because of the components covering them.

Did I say replace/anodize hardware (all bolts/washers/fan housing strap/oil tubes/lines) goes a long way. Not to mention all sheet metal (between the cylinders, mounts, engine tin) repainted. You're getting the picture. Polishing the intercooler, plumbing, exhaust... OOPS I fell off the slope!

ps. nice CF shroud and chrome air block off plates shown in couple pics above.
(edit:headstuds refr to studs on top of heads that mount intake plenum.)

Last edited by BReyes; 11-17-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Old 11-17-2007, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)