View Single Post

Weltmeister short-shift issues

Installed a Weltmeister short-shift kit yesterday in my '86 930 and, although it does shorten the shifting nicely, it's a bit notchy as compared to the stock setup. What really bothers me is I have to brace myself with either the steering wheel or door handle, shut my eyes and scream like a meat-head in the gym bench pressing 400lbs to get the damned thing into reverse! Local dealer mechanic mentioned that it would take extra effort to get a short shift-equipped car into reverse but this seems a bit excessive. Would like some feedback from those of you who have short shift kits installed. Am wondering if this is a normal tradeoff- or is something wrong with the linkage? Although I removed the conical nut from the "cone receptacle" in the shift rod I was unable to slide it off as it was fused to the rod- so I was unable to install a new bushing on the shift rod bracket- maybe there's too much play in the bushing? What bothers me is I was able to get it into reverse yesterday without as much effort and after putting 60 miles on her yesterday and sitting overnight it seems to have worsened.?. If this is just what the product is known for I'd be happy to try something else- but I'd like to keep the factory console intact...have seen threads on a WEVO shift kit but have been unable to find anyone who sells it (maybe it's NLA). Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by jay71; 11-18-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)