View Single Post

I voted for GHL (with heat). Either in the dank UK or the soggy PacNW, no heat for demisting is not an option.

The build quality was amazing. They were a work of art to look at - the welds looked beautiful. When I needed a drip tank and the aeroquip fitting kit, Brian Gerber answered the phone and was pleasant and helpful - got built one the next day and I had it 3 days after that by air. He refused to sell & ship me the SSI-style oil lines needed, told me they were standard old-style Porsche parts, that I should source them locally, and gave me the #'s.

My only niggles are that the GHL's put out less heat than the factory H/E's (which would be literally boiling moisture off the screen within about 90 seconds of starting the car), and that the drip tank seems quite vulnerable at the back, being the lowest point of the car (caught it once crossing some raised railroad tracks).

From other threads here, I thought I read that the GSF guy does QA on the headers himself - and they're available with heat, whereas the OSX ones are people making copies of what he commisioned? Given the reported fitment issues, it's probably worth an extra couple of $100 to get a set that actually fit...

That said, I really like the SSIs. One thing: when I mentioned that SSI's were available for 930's to my wrench, he pulled a sour face and cursed. When I asked why, he said they're a pain when it comes time to do the valves.

Looking at the installed photos, they do look like they would get in the way more than, say, GHLs, as these sit directly underneath, well out of the way of the valve covers. Do you need to drop SSI's for a valve adjust?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)