View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
With all due respect, what exactly does that mean? You sort of make it sound like EFI will be as simple and cheap for this Steve Timmins to do, as changing the spark plugs. Anything can be done with enough, time, talent, and treasure. No talent? Add more money. No time? Add more money. No money? Then freshen the engine best you can, and enjoy the car. EFI is great, but CIS can be, too.

Certainly EFI is nothing new on these engines. There are lots of conversions: some done to perfection by many well known shops, some successfully home-grown by guys in their own garages. In the hands of a good shop it can be a straight forward change, but still a major one. A change that will require you to discuss several parameters and variables, some of which might even extend to the gearing in your transmission.

I do agree with DDDD in that if you're thinking about EFI, now is the time to draft a plan and find shop you can work with. It is nice to only go in once! And he's right, it couldn't hurt to mention it and see what you could get. And in that instance, you'd want to keep the car close to home, although many have shipped their cars to Imagine Auto for their EFI conversion, without incident.

FWIW, when Neil Harvey of Performance Developments had my engine for machine work, he was willing to go as far as a twin turbo setup using Link Systems EFI and a Porsche Motorsports 962C intake manifold that he had access to!!! Needless to say, I had neither the time nor the treasure for such an endeavor, but he certainly had the talent...
Clearly you are focusing in on the fact that I mentioned EFI.

The big picture is TALK TO STEVE BEFORE LAUNCHING INTO A ENGINE REBUILD. What possible harm can come from a complete newbie trying to increase his knowledge of his options? That is why he started this thread and I have given him the best man to talk to in his area, IMO.

Steve has a shop full of engines and he puts together all kinds of different packages.

Steve has lots and lots of ideas that a new owner might want to hear before rushing into something because it is convenient.

The most cost effective thing to do is just try to fix the studs as cole930 suggests. However, a lot of us dream about the day we are going to do our engine rebuild and a guy would be crazy, absolutely crazy, to rush into a rebuild without a complete plan about what he really wants to achieve. That requires EXTENSIVE background knowledge, and this new owner is surely in for a big learning curve.

The worse thing to do at this point is rush into a rebuild only to realize three months from now that you should have done something differently. Take your time and talk to some more people and learn what goes into a good rebuild instead of just going through the motions to get the car back on the road.

Last edited by DDDD; 11-29-2007 at 06:49 PM..
Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)