View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrfan View Post
Do NOT ceramic coat the inside of the headers. The ceramic will flake off and cause FOD to the turbine blades. Fine for NA, bad for a turbo.

JP
???? If the part is properly prepped and the ceramic coating company knows what they're doing, the ceramic will not flake off internally. The only way it's coming off is if you somehow manage to bottom out your car, crushing your exhaust and causing the coating inside to crack. The only coating that will probably go to that point even when crushed is White Lightning as it's the only coating that's pure ceramic and it's fragile. Companies like Jethot have developed coatings that literaly become part of the metal. I've built dozens upon dozens of headers all ceramic coated and more turbo motors than I know with ceramic coated pistons and flaking ceramic has never happened and never damaged a turbo.

When I(and ex business partner) built this bike we spec'd out Jet Hot's Ceramicrome and mirror polished it for the entire exhaust system. The silver/black canisters on the side are the functional exhaust canisters and the black nose piece is a functional ball bearing spinning turbine unit inserted in position to replicate a jet engine on the side of an aircraft. To get that piece to fit inside the ceramic coated canister I had to MACHINE off the internal ceramic coating at the lip. Not sand, not scrape, not chip.....machine it off. It's not going to flake off if kept within it's normal parameters. If you manage to heat the ceramic beyond it's capabilities to melt it....you have more engine issues to worry about that little ceramic pieces hitting the turbine...

Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)