View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrfan View Post
Its your engine. Both Kevin from Ultimate Motorwerkes and Swain Tech advise against coating the inside of headers due to the fact that you cannot sufficiently prepare the surface deep inside the headers to accept the ceramic. If one small piece flakes off and comes into contact with the turbine impeller at 100,000 plus rpms, big trouble.

JP
If you have the right tool you can blast the inside of a header. It's called a draw through snake. Essentially a flexible hose with a wide angle blasting nozzle that has spring loaded "fingers" that keep the nozzle centered in the primary. Inserted in the pipe, blast media is started, then drawn through the pipe to prep the inner surface. Nozzle covers a 360 degree area with a ~100 blast angle. I always prep my manifolds myself prior to sending them out to any ceramic coater as I can guarantee a perfect surface. Works very well.

And again, you're using Swain Technologies for the coating. They are the only manufacturers/applicators of a pure ceramic coating. It's comes out rough(like oxide) and is brittle. If you strike the part with a hammer(not that you would) the ceramic will crack and break off. Of course they're going to tell you not to run it in a turbo setup as they don't want to deal with the responsibility of it. Try that same test with Jethot's coatings, and you'll flatten the pipe before you even get a crack, if you do at all. I've yet to have a failure and have been using it for a LONG time on street and race applications. Jethot also offers a lifetime warranty on the coating and guarantees against failure for life no matter what the circumstance is.

The bike....thanks for the comment. First and only project bike I've ever built like that. Ground up design and build. Only part we didn't design, fab, build, and/or modify in house was the front fork. Full custom LED and Xenon lighting, electronics, one off PPG paint mixes, retractable 2nd rider pegs and seat, one off billet wheels, on and on. ~$200K(parts and labor) later and this is what the customer got. Huge Jets football fan if you didn't notice Probably won't ever get the chance to do something this extreme again in my lifetime. If you want to see more pictures I have ~2 gig's worth from fab stages, paint, cnc, all the way up to the magazine photoshoots pictures.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)