View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Today's 959 Update...

Paul Cohen came by the shop today and I took him out for a ride in the 959. For those of you who might not remember, Paul was the private detective that I worked with last year on the recovery of the stolen 917 and 908 engines. He and I setup the sting to go "purchase" them and instead showed up with the police in tow. Ahh, the good ole' days.

Anyways, the car embarrassed me today, as I am still having problems with the oil pressure sender. The car has a neat integrated alarm system that will give an ear-piercing alarm if the tach records rpms above 3K and the oil pressure is below a certain amount. It's rare, but oil pressure problems in the engine can happen, so I have been careful to heed the warnings. Sometimes the engine oil pressure reading will just pop back up to a full 5 bar without any prompting. We drove around for about 30 minutes warming up the car and keeping it under 3000 rpm (difficult to do in a 959). No luck. So, we took it back to the shop and I took off the air cleaner and got out my screwdriver and repeatedly tapped on the oil pressure sender (it's a mechanical device inside the can). Well, that worked - for a short time. Then I had to do it again. This is actually good news, as it tells me that the problem is really, really likely with the oil pressure sender and not a problem with the oil pressure pistons within the engine. The only trouble is that to reach this part, it appears like you may have to remove a ton of stuff on the top of the engine, perhaps including the intake manifold. Yuck. More on that on a later date.

Okay, so with the idle problem seemingly solved, I think the next big project is going to be the suspension. I spent most of the afternoon setting up the lift and getting the car positioned and lifted, and the wheels all loosened for removal. I have some pics that are coming, I think a picture is worth a thousand words here...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)