View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Here we are lining up the car for the scissors lift. Unfortunately, this is the only lift that we have access to here at the shop. It will do fine, as the 959 basically is difficult to lift up due to the fact that everything on this car is expensive and there's a nomex undercarriage pan that can be easily damaged. Using the lift is the best approach.

Carfully line up the lift points with the suspension lift points on the chassis. Seems to fit well.

But before we raise the car, we need to loosen the wheels, not a straightforward task. First remove the wheel hub caps. Note, that these look like standard Fuchs caps, but are actually about twice as big. I should get a regular sized one for a future photo to compare.

Underneath is a center-lock wheel lock.

You need the key to remove the center portion.

This part seems way overdesigned to me...

In order to remove the wheels, you need one of these devices. It's a planetary gear reducing mechanism that allows you to torque the wheels to something like 300-ft lbs.

Inside of the device. Man, I'd hate to lose this.

Another view...

Here it is on the wheel. It fits in there nice and snug.

101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)