View Single Post
one of the great unwashed

Blown up airbox update:

So, I finally got the new stainless steel airbox in, rewired the engine compartment, put in some new fuel lines and rebuilt the distributor. I fired the engine last week, ran OK, but I had to further modify the throttle linkage... the SS airbox is a bit lower than the SC plastic unit...not to mention all the other crap I had to tweak to get the airbox in.

Anyway, I start the car tonight, runs for a couple of seconds, and dies. Put the gauges on, my pressures are all right where I set them a month ago. Got the car to run for a minute or so at about 3000 RPM. The AFR's were high. Readjusted the mixture via the control plunger, which brought them down a bit. Took the distributor out, moved it a tooth in either direction, determined it was installed properly.

So, the engine runs for a second, backfires through the airbox ( the SS unit has a real nice blowoff on it!!!), and then the engine dies. I think it thinks it's out of fuel. Seems to run on whatever got delivered through the CSV. Of course, I have less than 1/4 tank, and the back end of the car is still two feet in the air. Hmmmm.

Tomorrow, I'll lower the car, put some hew high test in it, and try again. Maybe pull some injectors and watch them squirt, pull a plug wire to see the spark, etc. There's about 1/2 inch of salt on the roads, so I'm in no hurry to drive it, I just want it to run.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)