View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
My car didn't have one of these. Does anybody here have this exact one?

Mine was similar but not the same & definitely does not have a filter screen. It was definitely a Porsche part.
The diagram of the turbo sump tank came from the Porsche Turbo workshop manual; section 21 - 12 "Turbocharger oil supply”. I know that the 76 Turbo Carrera did not have this type tank, it was more like a long candy bar. I also know that an 84 turbo did not have this model from one I just checked - I am going to check a 77, 80 and 85 and will post later when I find out.

A note worth mentioning: if one had a filter and did not clean it then the turbo would backup with oil and the back pressure would force oil it out the bearing race and into the cold and hot side of the turbo; I have rebuilt several turbos and have seen the 'coke' caked in the bearing housing and hot wheel side.

Obviously, the best thing to do is keep oil changed regularly and let the turbo cool down after “hot sessions” thereby avoiding any substantial 'coking'. Couple the facts that K27 can spool up to 90,000 rpm and the turbo hot side is like a blazing furnace, one should realize that the oil passing over the bearing is going to get pretty toasty. This hellatious heat obviously breaks down the lubricants ability to properly do it’s job. Another idea: has anyone ever run an engine super hot after blowing a radiator hose then tried to change the oil? Gooey black yuck.

munchovie.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)