Thread: scary noise
View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
I've been fiddling with fuel pressures, and cold start issues since my cold start injector is/was defunct. Took a while to get to that diagnosis with many other issues. While I had the engine labouring at very low revs, cold idle (too rich) a knocking noise could be heard from clutch end of engine. Best I can tell is in the #3/#6 area, and if I had to guess, #6. Putting the clutch in does nothing for it.
But when the engine is idling warm, and no load, ie running nice, or when you rev it at standstill, no noise (none that you can hear above the fan etc anyway). There was at times under these conditions a very faint noise from the same area - but you had to stick your head deep into the engine cavity while it is running, to pick it up. But when it was labouring at about 300-500 rpm (and running a bit roughly) you could hear a definite knock. Because it is not running smoothly at those revs, I wonder if it could be something trivial, or how would I determine if it is more serious?
One of the aspects I thought positive for the car pre purchase, was the oil pressure seems very good - around 3 bar at idle, and runs to 4+ under revs.
Alan
Do you think it could be piston slap on a cold engine?

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)