View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
...need to file this one under things that make you go "HHHMMM".............

My car/engine seems to like the oil level being maintained at the low end of the dipstick. If I try to keep the oil level at the "half way" mark, my consumption goes up considerably until she reaches her place further down the stick.
Hmmmm....no not all. I have noticed the same thing and doing the same thing as you. Keeping it at the low end.

If you have the same type of oil tank breather system as mine-----which is not much, it could be the cause of the problem. I have the oil tank breather line going to the intake of the air cleaner.

My Theory:
The oil tank on dry sump systems is a turbulent place. When the oil is returned from the dry sump pumps, it is under good pressure and creates some splashing of oil (plus some foaming) on the tank walls. I think the breather line is sucking up some oil droplets into the intake.

I'm going to try this theory out in the Spring when I add a breather tank with oil separator to the breather line.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)