View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
My '87 does have the factory oil separator. Currently, I have a hose that runs from the top of the crank case to the separator, a hose that runs from the filler neck to the separator, and the final hose is what connected the separator to the airbox - on this hose, I have a small air filter fitted. Additionally, the bottom of the separator drains any oil back to the oil tank.

I'm afraid that if I install my factory airbox and connect that hose to the separator, that I'll be sucking those oil droplets, that you mentioned, into the intake.
Sandman,
I take it that you have the KKK turbo in your car? Other than oil consumption through the rings, the only other place where oil could get in your engine would be the turbocharger seals. Do you have aftermarket headers? If you do, I suspect the culprit may be the turbo sump pump system. I have read that the sump pump for the turbocharger is very inefficient at idling speeds. So if you are cooling the turbo down after a long drive by letting it idle, the oil will not be scavenged from the tank. Try keeping the revs around 2K RPM for 30 seconds before shutting off the engine. It made a world of difference on mine. No smoke on startup since I started this practice.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)